SWITZERLAND. 235 most finished style upon the plate, together with an inscription dated 1718.” Misson, who visited Nuremberg in 1698, describes the dress of a newly married pair as rich in the extreme. That of the bridegroom as black, “ fort charge de dentelles; ” the bride as tricked out in the richest “ dentelle antique,” her petticoat trimmed with “ des tresses d’or et de dentelle noire.” Perhaps the finest collection of old German point is preserved, or rather was so, five-and-thirty years since, in the palace of the ancient, but now extinct, prince-archbishops of Bamberg. The modern laces of Bohemia are tasteless in design. The manufacture is of early date. “ The Bohemian women,” writes Moryson, “ delight in black cloth with lace of light colours.” In the beginning of the present century, upwards of 60,000 people, men, women, and children, were occupied in the Bohemian Erzgebirge alone in lace-making. Since the introduction of the bobbin-net machine into Austria, 1831, the number has decreased. There are now scarcely 8000 employed in the common laces, and about 4000 on Valenciennes and points. 36 Austria sent to the International Exhibition of 1874 specimens of needle point and point plat, made in the school of the Grand Duchess Sophie, and specimens of border laces in the style of those of Auvergne were exhibited from the Erzgebirge and Bohemia. Countess Nako and Mr. Artaria, both of Vienna, possess fine collections of lace. SWITZERLAND. “ Dans un vallon fort bicn nomine Travers, S’eleve un mont, vrai sejour des hivers.”—Voltaire. In 1572, one Symphorien Thelusson, a merchant of Lyons, having escaped from the massacre of St. Bartholomew, concealed himself in a bale of goods, in which he reached Geneva, and was hospitably received by the inhabitants. When, after the lapse of Rear a hundred and twenty years, crowds of French emigrants arrived in the city, driven from their homes on the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, a descendant of this same Thelusson took a 3(5 “ Austria.”—lleport of the International Exhibition of 1862.